Monday, March 28, 2011

Letter 94: Is he a star preacher?

Residency 22, May 19, 1912

Dear Margaret,

Your letter of the 12 received Friday evening and was pleased to get same and to hear that you are well.

I was sorry to hear of the death of Miss Wilson and John McNaughton. It seems sad to see such young people taken away. In the ordinary way of looking at life they should live much longer; but it's sure to come to us all sooner or later and the great question is: Are we ready?

Did you hear the Kingsbury Minister? If so, is he as good a preacher as Mr. Sutherland.

I received the papers you sent and in one of them I see that Rd has given a call to a Mr. McWilliam and in another place he is called McMillan. Have you heard him? Is he a star preacher and is he an old man? It was nice of Kingsbury to turn out so well to Mr. Mc Naughton's funeral. Will Mrs. MacNaughton leave Richmond? So you have Dr. Kellock to fill in at present. I am glad I am not there to hear him, as really I would have to stay away from church if he preached. I hope they have selected a good smart man this time.

I haven't heard yet how the elections went. Hope I will tomorrow.

You spoke of Flora exams beginning the day after you wrote, let me know the day her school closes in your next letter. I trust Edith will soon be with you by the time you get this letter.

We are having fine weather here lately, only cold nights. Yesterday it snowed nearly all day but melted away very quickly. We haven't had a big rain storm this spring so far and I am glad as this is a terrible place for mud when it rains. There is snow in the bush here in places yet. They built us a place for ourselves and covered it with a tent, it's 20 feet square. We moved into it last night for the first.

We found it pretty cold this morning but it will be all right when the weather is warmer. So when you are going to bed, just think of your old man sleeping in a tent 800 miles from you. I will be all right, in it, so do not worry about it. I have forgetten whether I have answered your question regarding how far the Steel is laid West of Cochran. It is laid 200 miles West and 150 east at present. They expect to make the connection with the steel by Christmas west at Superior Junction. But I am doubtful if they can. I haven't heard from any of the children since writing you last. The trains that carry the mail from here go through to Cochran in the night. Now, so they won't interfere with the work trains through the day.

So you may get my letters quicker then before. Your letter took four days to reach me and I am enclosing Herb's letter you sent me. Now my dear I will close as I cannot think of anything from here that would interest you. Trusting this will find you well and that I may hear from your shortly again,

yours with much love your affectionate husband

N. Nicholson ------------

No comments:

Post a Comment