Friday, March 25, 2011

Letter 66: If I was near you know what I would do

Cochrane Mar. 31, 1912

Dear Margaret,

Your letter of the 28th received last night and was pleased to get same and to hear that you are well. You did not say any different, so I take it for granted you are.

My cold is all right again, I’m as well as ever, my eye is getting on fine so you need not worry about it.

I had card last night at the same time that I got yours from Dr. Skinner dated the 29 at North Bay 10 40 AM saying he left home at 4 PM the day before. Saying he hoped to see me in Saskatoon some time this summer.

It was kind of him to write me the post card on his way to the west.

I note what you say about the Crombies; they will likely make lots of improvements before moving in.

How soon does Mrs. Skinner intend leaving the house and where is she going to until she leaves for the west. When does she leave? Is the Dr. coming for her.

I also note what you said about Clayton taking Grandma’s things. I think they were very mean to take Dan’s picture from his wife if she wanted to keep it. Also the bedroom set if Grandma had given it to Han.

And about him paying his note so promptly, likely the money that Han gave him the day before. It’s nice to be so forehanded don’t you think?

I wonder if he thinks now of the time when he wouldn’t eat anything Grandma cooked in the ten years that she speaks of, that he boarded her. Likely he now wants his pay.

So he doesn’t speak to you. You will now be as bad with him as Rattray is and K. McRea but do not worry about that as he has to have his spleen with most people that differ from him.

You know how he used to hug Mr. Carmichael when he first came and how he turned against him at the last. He is one of those self conceited fools.

Now as to going to see Grandma you do your duty towards her and never mind what the rest does. She is your mother and not so responsible as when younger. So you will have to make allowance for that as you will not have any regrets after she is gone.

It will not be your fault if they do not use you right.

Did Sarah get anything out of the spoils except the watch? I think she was looking for something.

I haven’t heard from any of the children since I came back. You will likely have them with you soon now.

Is Flora going home at Easter? I haven’t heard from her since I came back.

It will break up the time for you as well as for them.

Hope you may make it pleasant for both of you supposing I am not there.

Is Edith getting a vacation at Easter?

Haven’t heard from Herb since writing you last. I wrote him after coming back about the insurance but it always takes him so long to answer letters that I sometimes get discouraged at him not being more prompt about answering his letters, but he may be out in the country and not getting his mail regularly.

I want you to keep good friends with Han if possible and use her as well as you can. Never mind what the others say.

We are having it kind of rough and cold here this week. Thursday night it snowed about 6 inches of soft snow then it turned cold and has been cold since with some snow at times through the day but at times the sun comes out and you would think it was coming spring right away.

How is your furnace wood holding out? I hope you will have enough to put you through.

I am enclosing you my cheque for $20.00 and want you to pay the Bell phone and the water bill which will be $5.00 and 3.00 and the balance will be yours truly.

You see it takes money to keep square with things and what makes it worse is that your bills come along all the time with my pay smaller than it used to be ... And have to make the most of it.

Now I have written a long rambling letter and I hope I haven’t said too many harsh things in it.

I must thank you very much for the nice name you called me in your letter - and if I was near, you know what I would do.

I will be pleased to hear from you soon again with the news of the town or anything else you hear. Now, my sweet pet, I will close with lots of love from our affectionate husband,

N. Nicholson

(Margaret's grandchildren, who often visited Richmond, remember Clayton Hill as a nice man who took them along on drives to local cemeteries, for he was a stone mason. The family genealogy says of Isabella Hill (who died in 1913 of cancer) that her house was always full of friends. Letters from the late teens and twenties reveal that the Nicholsons got over their fiery feud with Clayton. But it only gets hotter, this year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment