Thursday, March 24, 2011

Letter 60: It Gives me A Sad Feeling

148 Hollis street,
Framingham, Massachusetts

March 12, 1912

My Dear Maggie,

I only heard last Sunday of your brother's death. Mrs. Booth called me in , she was passing, and told me.

This will be a sad blow to you all, especially to your poor mother. I fear it will go hard with her being old and feeble and devoted to your brother as she was.

I sympathize deeply with you all.

I never met your brother but I know he was a nice man from all accounts as Mrs. Booth said he had been such a sufferer that it probably was a blessed relief for him to die but that does not prevent those he has left behind from being sorrowful and lonely.

His wife has been very devoted to him I believe and it is well to have that to think of that he was well cared for and all done for him that could be done.

Coming so soon after your sister's death makes it doubly hard.

You spoke of Mr. Skinner's moving and Dr. Moffatt and your Minister also going and the Sutherlands gone.

Richmond will soon have few of your old friends and neighbours left. It gives me a very sad feeling.

I think it is a good thing you did not come down this way in February on account of your brother's illness and also because it was an extremely cold month but I will be very happen to see you later on if you can come.

Our snow is gone but it is rain and cold trying hard to snow this morning.

I had a letter from my cousin Violet and she said Robbie Riddle and his family starting last week for the Northwest and Mary Brown was going with them.

On account of holding her land, taking the youngest girl with her. Willie Jack's father and wife were still staying with Violet but were going soon.

I heard Carl Brown too was to start about the middle of this month for his place at Maclin in the Northwest.

I will not write more. Now please give my love and sympathy to your mother and sister Mrs. Hill.

I know too well that it is to have a sad and aching heart for those who have left us.

And I never forget all your kindness and Mr. Nicholson's when my dear sister died.

God bless you all.

Yours lovingly Marion R. Coy.

PS Will your mother remain with Mrs. Hill? What will your sister in law do? Remain where she is?

I want you dear to write me soon as you can. I well know what a sad loss this is to you and know you will miss him so much. I don't think you should try to stay alone nights, it is too lonely for you.

We have had mean damp weather and Nate has been troubled very much with his asthma. He was at home 2 days last week with it. It is a great drain on his strength. We don't want him to work but he will of course, his work is not like physical labor, else he could not do it.

Much much love and believe me I feel deeply for you in your affliction. Marion....
......................
Mrs. Coy, a relation in Massachusetts, will die in 1923, a year after Norman Nicholson. Her husband, the invalid Nathan, will outlive her and write a letter to Margaret, announcing his wife's death and complaining how hard he has it compared to Margaret who, widowed like himself, has 4 nice children. He has only one INSANE son, he writes, who is only getting worse. The son is not able to understand his mother's death, apparently.

In August of 1912, Edith and Marion will visit Massachusetts and be set up with Chester, who will in turn visit them in Montreal in September. Marion will call him "A great Yankee." Chester, Mrs. Coy writes, in not inclined to marry. I have to wonder if he loses his mind in WWI. It seems likely. Letters from 1920 mention Chester and his illness.


This letter describes the exodus from Richmond to Montreal and to parts West in 1912.

No comments:

Post a Comment