Thursday, March 24, 2011

Letter 59: We Shall All Miss Him

New Scotland, New York
March 11, 1912

Dear Cousin Maggie,

Your note of the 8th bearing sad intelligence of Dan's death I received this afternoon.

I can hardly tell you how sad I feel. I car scarcely think of anything else. The last I heard he was some better and I had no idea of his being taken away so soon and suddenly.

It seems so strange. I was thinking of him on Thursday. Several times while I was busy with my books and preparing my sermon my thoughts would return to him. Also on Friday morning as soon as I began my work my mind returned to him and I began reproving myself for not writing. Well, I was busy and I resolved to write you Sunday evening after my day's work would be over and inquire how he was and also how your mother was standing the winter.

Well, when Sunday evening came I was too tired to do any writing and I said I could do it better in the morning when fresh. But I had a tired headache and did not go to the office till noon and then I receive your letter. I have been out since visiting some sick and did not get in until 10 o'clock but I was determined to write this tonight, lest I may not in the morning.

Well, his pilgrimage is over and he is laid to rest. We shall all miss him but of course those who stood nearer to him and saw him most frequently will miss him most. I hope his wife may be comforted in her lonelines and that she may be given strength to bear her sorrow and loss. I shall try to write her but less I should fail kindly convey to her my sympathy. I met her only once but thought her an admirable companion and wife.

Of course, your mother will miss Dan very mcuh and I am rejoiced ot har that God dealt so graciously with her and her health has been so long sustained. I have cherished the hope of getting among you all to see all once more before I or they cross to the other shore.

I frequently officiate at the funerals of those who have departed life around me and death has quite a different meaning when a relation or boyhood acquaintance near my own age is taken.

Just last week, a man by the name of Flint was instantly killed as his auto skidded over, pinning him down. With him was a gentleman, a very good friend of mine,who was thrown but escaped with only a shaking up, and the terrible shock at seeing his friend who was giving him a ride home instantly killed.

I would dearly love to see all you and would have tried had I suspected dan was so soon to be taken. I have been real well all winter despite the long cold spell from January 4. At present, March is quite agreeable. We have had only about six inches of snow and the best of sleighing. No rain and freezing. I have been qutie busy and everything going nicely.

I hear from David and Alex or some of the families but seldom and not for a long time for the Gore or Kingsbury or Richmond.

I wish I could talk instead of writing to you. I just want to ask so many questions about Dan but they will not be of any comfort or need by him now.

Hope Norman and all the family are well, as yourself.

Kind Regards to all,
N.M McLeod

...
The Isle of Lewis Scots of Quebec often emigrated to the US, and many of them were ministers of the cloth. This letter hints at the kind of sermon this man might have given.

No comments:

Post a Comment