Monday, February 7, 2011

Letter 43: Not Sent Home Yet?

Margaret Nicholson 1912.



Monday December 18th of 1911

Dear Norman,

Yours rec'd. I thought I would write you again if you are not coming until the cheap rates. I see the half fare does not last long, and you will take return.

I think most of the people wonder why you have not been sent home before. Mr. Campbell was asking for you. I told him you were coming for Christmas.

I am busy with going out and I think you will be here before I am ready.

Dan was not feeling well yesterday. Grandma, I think looks better, but has not come downstairs yet.

Flora I expect will be homeThursday night. Edith and Marion Friday night.

I don't remember whether I told you that Dr. Moffatt was going to Victoria. Expects to be settle there about May. I was down for tea one night. He told me, he said "The Conservatives have not sent Mr. Nicholson home yet?" I said "No."

He thinks they will all have to go. Said Campbell would get the post office if he wanted it.

We have sleighing today. Snowed Saturday night, but quite soft, looks more like Xmas that snow is here.

I have not heard from Herb since I wrote last. Only wish he could come home with you.

All my love,

Your loving wife, Margaret

...There is very little to let us know how the Nicholsons spend Christmas. They were always together, so no letters. Traditional spices like cinnamon and candied orange peel, currants and nuts are purchased in early December. A turkey is usually purchased for the day. Gifts are modest, books, and gloves and 'ribbons' which would be adornments for hats and dresses, in so many fabrics, widths and lengths they take up pages of the Eaton's catalogue.

Many women adorned their own hats to save money: feathers and wings and flowers were also used to dress up a hat.

No doubt it was a social time. It's hard to imagine how things could get more social between Christmas and New Years than they were between New Years and Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment