Monday, February 7, 2011

Letter: 40 The Whole Thing

Marg and Norman



Richmond
Tighsolas
December 5, 1911

Dear Norman,

Your letter with cheque enclosed received on the 1st but I have been so busy that I have not presented it at the bank yet.

I helped serve at the dinner. I first thought I would not go near but Mrs. McMorine came to see if I would go, and Bella had to, at least, she thought they could not manage without her, so we both worked and of course had the benefit of the whole concert which was fine.

Two lady singers and two men in all. They call it a great success.

There were two hundred and twenty sat down to dinner all at once.

I have not heard any fault with the ladies' aid. We expected to make some money as we got 75 cents for each plate.

Jack McMorine told me they were in the hole, talent cost them so much.

Uncle Alex and Christine (Watters)came down in the morning. Took it all in and as it was nearly 1 am, they stayed til morning.

Really, the sermon preached by Dr. Johnstone of the American Presbyterian church in Montreal was the best part.

He gave an address at the concert but preaching is more his forte.

I asked Jack McMorine if he heard it, he said he did not, but he heard it was 'the whole thing'.

I said yes, it was.

I will able to tell you all about it when you come home.

I don't remember whether I told you that Jack's sister's little girl died, was buried on the 28th up near Ottawa. He was in for the week and on Friday his mother died. She was buried here on Saturday on arrival of the 10.30 train. I went with the girls to the station, that is Esther and Edith, then to the church and cemetery.

The two girls came out, also the brother, so I was all that day at Florence's.
Just one thing after another to keep me going.

I manage to go over quite often to Dan's but not to stay. I have stayed a few nights with Florence. She is not out of her room yet. Has not got on very well.

Aunt Han (wife of Dan and sister-in-law) waited on the table at the St Andrew's dinner.

Grandma was well enough and wanted her to go. Dan did not go out at all. I don't know if he liked us going.

Said we were really needed and that we did the right thing.

I had letter from JR McLeod this am saying that he was to be in Sherbrooke, he might turn up at Tighsolas about 8 pm coming down by train if they finished their business .

It is in regard to Mr. Sutherland leaving Kingsbury.

Dr. Moffat arrived her Sunday night after an absence of 4 weeks. He called me up by phone this morning to say how do you do. He asked for you and Herb and the girls and wanted to know if I was staying all alone. I told him I was and that occasionally I have one of the little girls.

He told me Sam had located in New Westminster BC. Said while they were in Edmonton and Calgary it was 24 below and Sam was disgusted with the cold.

Dr. said he went over the GTR so did not go near where Herb was. In Herb's last letter he said he thought he would be home in the Spring.

Did he say anything in yours about coming? Dr was asking if he was coming Xmas.

We have had it very cold here for two days. It is moderating this afternoon.

I had a letter from Edith. She is well. She has more work this year and is not any too well pleased about it. This idea of putting Miss Smith at head was not very kind. I told her rather than have her unhappy, she better just give it up.

Of course, if she can manage to stay until May it will be better. I am looking for Flora's letter, this evening. When I get cheque cashed and my bills paid, I will write you again.

I am afraid if you get this letter at 10.30 it will take until midnight to read it.

Your loving wife, Margaret


...Dr. Moffat, who has just lost 8,000 dollars in an E.T.stock market swindle, and who is moving out West soon, is asking about Herb because Herb owes him money. Margaret appears not to know this. Or she does not want to mention the debt in a letter. A great deal was left out of letters, they were self-censored. You could never tell who might read them.

St. Andrew is the patron saint of the Scots. Norman was President of the Richmond St. Andrew's Society in the past. In 1909, while away working on the railroad in La Tuque Quebec he sent his 'regrets' for not attending the celebration to the then President. He was very angry when he heard that his regrets were not read out at the dinner as was proper form.

He left behind a flyer for the 1900 celebrations.

Right: St. Andrew's Society Concert, Richmond Quebec, circa 1900, when Norman was Treasurer. Program Included: Solo, Scotch Airs; Song, The Star O'Robbie Burns, A coronet Solo by Mr.I C Walker; a duet "Robin's Farewell: by Miss Kenmore and J. R Bain and a Humourous recitation by Mr. E Fox. Much more plus Auld Lang Syne and God Save the Queen at the end. (Victoria was still on throne. She died the next year and so began the Edwardian Era, or the Laurier Era here in Canada, or as I like to call it: The Tighsolas Era.) The President was Chas. Campbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment