Monday, February 7, 2011

Letter 35: Do Not Waste Any Sympathy

A group waiting for the 'bus'.. a horse and trailer.

Richmond Tighsolas,

November 10th, 1911

Dear Norman,

Your letters of Sunday and Monday received was glad to get them.

I thought it strange in one of your letters you asked if I had been to Kingsbury when I had written you all about it.

Edith came home Tuesday night. She had a cold and a sore throat that affected her voice, and was not able to teach so Dr. Villard asked her if she would like to go home for a week.

I called Dr. Tompkins in as Dr. Moffatt was away on his western trip. He said she would be all right in a day or two. So she expects to go back on Tuesday.

She was looking well and did not have any temperature and has a good appetite.

Mrs. Dr. Skinner has a son weighed 10 lbs, fine big boy, only they are very much disappointed that it was not a girl.

Florence Peppler has another little daughter, born the 5th. They are all delighted with her so don't waste any sympathy and say you wish it was a boy. They are pleased.

Nathan is covering the barn with red tin sides and all does not look very well.

The McMann's are to move next week. . The Sutherlands are having a sale on the 18th, selling everything I heard. Mrs. Gawne has rented their house. Mr. Messier is going to move to Montreal, He is travelling for some lumber firm. Mrs Messier is delighted. Don't think she will move 'til January.

So that will be another house.

Mr. Rothney has moved into one of Mrs. Kellie's houses. I wish he had taken ours.

Clayton left his auto at Megantic. Something went wrong, broken cylinders I think. Jack Peppler was laughing about it. "How many repairs he has made on it," he said. "Soon he would have a new one."

I have not heard from Herb. Edith is writing to the Institute telling them how well she is feeling.

I tell all the people that you will be home for the winter. So when you come they won't be surprised. Will write when E goes.

With much Love Margaret Nicholson,

Cheque will be very acceptable when it comes.

The girls say I am looking well. I take so many trips to the mail, I stay healthy.

All my love,
Your loving wife
Margaret.

...For all the gossip that flies around town, babies seem to pop out of nowhere. It appears that pregnancies were kept under wraps, literally and figuratively. Probably due to superstition more than misplaced propriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment