Monday, February 7, 2011

Letter 34: Happy, Sort of..

Margaret with Marion. In 1912, Marion was worn out from work and looking for a proper place to live. Very thin!

November 2, 1911

Tighsolas

Dear Norman,

Yours of the 29th received. Glad to hear that you had a letter from Herb. So you will know that he has quit the bank.

Flora came home Friday at 7pm and stayed until Tuesday at 4 pm. She was very busy all the time as she brought her white dresses to wash and iron.

I never saw Flora so fat and such a good colour. She has such a good appetite!

She was going into the city to teach today.

In regard to the water, they took up the pipes opposite our house and the Montgomery's. They did not dig up any of the street. I really don't notice any difference in the pressure. I asked Mrs. Skinner and she said, "No, not any." Only while there I heard their flax crop was a failure, the frost caught it before it was ripe. I think they intend to go next summer.

I am going to Kingsbury as soon as the weather is a little settled. Dr. Skinner will make a fire in the furnace once a day, but I won't stay away long.

Edith Peppler stayed last night. Stella and she take turns.

It seems to me, Grandma is feeling stronger, but they won't let her come downstairs.

I was telling Dan (brother) that Herb has left the bank. He said he was glad. I am really glad, in a way, myself. I always said he did not intend to stay long in it.

So, if you come home, it will be all right. We can make some arrangements.

John McLean has gone to Sherbrooke to work for Rand Drill. He says they will have to close the Flodden Church as so many are leaving.

It is snowing here, pretty cold, but I have the house very comfortable.

Your loving wife,

Margaret

Back in 1910, if teaching was a profession with a future, the Ministry was not. Many Nicholson relations are Presbyterian Ministers, including Reverend J. R. McLeod, who performed the marriage ceremony for Margaret McLeod and Norman Nicholson back in 1883. He charged 12.00.

The best letter writers of all the correspondents in the entire Nicholson stash of letters (1887 to 1936) are these church professionals; I guess, good writing skills were a pre-requisite for the job, writing and sermon-giving and writing good sermons.

From these letters, ministers seem very big on describing tragedies in gruesome detail: deaths especially. In 1912 Richmond, the Ministers are kept busy with funerals. Indeed, there are so many deaths that year, in Richmond-Wolfe, people remark upon it. Two of the people mentioned in this letter will soon be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment