Sunday, February 6, 2011

Letter 24: We Never Had Any "Understanding"

Hugh Blair, my husband's Scottish/Cree/French Canadian grandfather.



Montreal P Q

20 Souvenir Avenue
Sept 20th, 1911

Dear Jean,

Your letter of the 12th just received and I am very pleased that you have brought up a subject that has been on my mind for quite a long while, of course, I refer to that delicate question that you have ask me and of which you want to know the truth.

In your letter you reproach me for not writing more often.

My reason in not writing you was that I have been taking my time in thinking about the above mentioned subject and the conclusion that I have reached since the receipt of your letter I know will hurt you.

Of course, you must know that we were never engaged and as for any understanding it must have been entirely on your part as I myself was only thinking of you as a very kind friend….

In the first paragraph I have mentioned that I had been thinking on the same subject but please remember I was not thinking in he same way as you were, as my thoughts were whether I would offer myself to you or not. Now Jean I have fully decided that we are very unfit for each other except in any other light than very good friends as our likes, dislikes and temperament differ greatly on many subjects and as this effects the lives of both of us I know it would be rash for us to make any alliance that we in later years might deeply regret.

I now hope that I have made myself very plain to you in answer to your question. From the contents of your letter it has hurt me very much to write this one, for I am sorry if I have said or done anything that has led you to think that there was any understanding between you and I and I feel sure that if I have given you any unintentional thoughts for the same, I know you will forgive me, knowing your true womanly character as I do and any little thing I may have done was always done in the light of a very good friend and I hope that we may continue to be so, as friends are harder to make than enemies.

For there are many good points in your actions and character that have led me to respect you very highly and I hope were long that you will have a young man that can endear himself to you and have his affections reciprocated; for I feel sure that you have been chosen out to be a comfort and a helpmate for some worthier man than myself. In closing my letter I wish to thank you and your mother for all kindnesses shown to me and I will always think highly of both you and her and should at any time you require a friend I will always do anything in my power to be of any assistance. All I ask is that you will write and let me know whether you have forgiven me or not.

Your Sincere Friend,
Hugh.

This letter was found in a book of correspondence with carbon copies once belonging to Hugh Christian Blair a lumber merchant working in his father's thriving business. This version was never mailed, but no doubt he got the message across somehow.

I actually cut it down. I guess there are never enough words to break off a courtship.

I gather from this letter that Hugh dropped this very proper woman, who was 'under the protection' of her mother for feisty, independent Marion Nicholson.

No comments:

Post a Comment